St. Mary’s Church was designed, in Romanesque style, by the well known architect F.A. Walters. The builder was W.T. Morgan and the first stage was to build the Sanctuary, Nave and one third of the north side of the church.
1907 Foundation Stone was laid by Bishop Hedley on 20th January. It was decided by the then Abbot to build the whole of the north side, the baptistery and to lay the foundation for the tower. The High Altar was consecrated on 30th October and the Church was opened on 3rd November. 1914 The work on the south side aisle, confessionals and sacristies began in February and completed on 12th July. Work also began on the Sacred Heart Altar and the stained glass windows on the north side were donated.
1915 The choir stalls were put in place during October. 1916 The choir screens were put in during May.
1919 The organ was removed from the top of the south aisle and replaced with St Anne’s altar.
1920 The new organ was installed in the Choir Loft.
1937 The Church Tower was opened on 11th April.
1941 An air raid destroyed the sacristies and the roof of St. Anne’s Chapel in January.
1951 The west front of St. Mary’s Looking towards the Altar The south side roof was raised to enable six windows to be inserted. St. Anne’s Chapel was restored and the Sacristies re-built.
1952 The Church was completely cleaned and repainted, the High Altar, reredos and statues were picked out in colour, the lighting system re-wired and amplifiers installed. The church re-opened on Sunday 29th October.
1953 The bell was taken down, recast and considerably enlarged.
1962 The Church was repainted.
1974 The Church was re-ordered by the Architect George Pace. The Blessed Sacrament was removed from the High Altar to the newly renovated St. Ann’s Chapel. The St. Ann and child Mary statue was painted in gold to convey the impression that St. Ann was Mary and the child was Jesus. The Crucifix in this chapel was designed by George Pace. The font was removed altogether and Our Lady of Lourdes was put in the Baptistery now grotto.
New pendant lights were designed which left the church very dark, these were removed in 1996. The church was completely redecorated and all the fractured gold was painted on the reredos. 1992 The sacristy and confessionals concrete roofs were covered with felt. The roof on the south side was renewed.
1994 A number of stained glass windows on the south side were renewed.
1996 The front external of the Church was cleaned and lights in the Church were replaced
2000 The interior of the Church was re-ordered to comply with the current Liturgical Laws.
2002/3 The exterior of the Church was completely renovated.